Wednesday, March 11 “Take Up” – Mark 8: 31-38
How are we to take up the causes of Jesus – justice, righteousness and mercy in our day?
Jesus told his disciples that he would suffer greatly. He would be condemned by the rulers, be killed, and would rise again. He was very clear when he said that following him would not be easy. He would have to take up a cross. He asked them if they would deny themselves and take up a cross to follow him.
How are we to follow Jesus? Are we willing to lose our lives? In today’s world following Jesus might mean that we could be put in danger. It could mean that we would find ways to help people less fortunate than we are, that we could work on projects for the good of the world, or that we could choose to do the right thing when others are not.
A few of the things members of our church do to follow Jesus’ teachings are:
1. We have a Sanctuary committee who has created a living space to provide for a person or family that needs sanctuary.
2. We support the LGBTQ+ Community.
3. Our UMW work on a project to sew menstrual pads for girls in 3rd World countries.
4. Individually some members sponsor children in other countries through organizations such as compassion.com.
5. Some members do community service such as volunteering in schools or cooking and providing meals for the homeless in a program called “The Table”.
Each of us can choose how we will follow Jesus!
Prayer: Lord, help me to follow your teachings! Help me to know what you would have me do! Amen.