Napa Methodist Church holds a tradition of naming church rooms for biblical stories, church founders, and memorable local and international church members.
All the rooms above the Fellowship Hall were named after women in the Bible. The first room, facing south is Naomi, the large room next to it is Ruth, the next two rooms facing west are Lydia and Deborah.
The Bonner Building, built in 1955, was named after Warren Bonner, Napa Methodist Church’s pastor from 1953 to 1957 and visitation pastor from 1965 to 1988. The rooms in the Bonner Building were named after missionaries.
There are three main rooms used upstairs in the Bonner Building. First is the Grenfell Room, named after Sir Wilfred Grenfell, a medical missionary to Labrador and Newfoundland. The middle upstairs room is the Wesley Room, named after John Wesley, the founder of Methodism. Next to it is a room recently named the Visual Vineyard Room after it was separated from the Wesley Room into two smaller rooms.
Downstairs in the Bonner Building, the Asbury Room was named after Francis Asbury, the First American Bishop of the Methodist Episcopal Church in America. Inside the Asbury Room is the Tyson Beall Memorial Library, named in memory of one of the young men from Napa Methodist Church’s Sunday School and Youth Group who died in Vietnam. This room is currently being used as the office for the Director of Youth and Family Ministries. Across from Asbury is the Kagawa Room, named after Toyohiko Kagawa, a Japanese reformer and evangelist from the slums of Tokyo. One of the rooms being used by the Napa Valley Nursery School, the Schweitzer Room, was named for Albert Schweitzer, who operated a medical hospital in French Equatorial Africa for 53 years.
Centennial Hall was dedicated for Napa Methodist Church’s 100th anniversary in 1952, and renamed Adams Hall for a former pastor, Ken Adams, and his wife, Ethel. It now houses the Mini Thrift Shop and the HOPE Center.