2 Chronicles 1:11-12, New International Version
God said to Solomon, “Since this is your heart’s desire and you have not asked for wealth, riches or honor, nor for the death of your enemies, and since you have not asked for a long life, but for wisdom and knowledge to govern my people over whom I have made you king, therefore wisdom and knowledge will be given you.”
Proverbs 2:2, The Oxford Self-Pronouncing Bible
So…incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understanding.
Knowing others is intelligence, knowing yourself is wisdom.
-Laozi, Chinese philosopher (604 BC – 531 BC)
True wisdom comes to each of us when we realize how little we understand about life, ourselves, and the world around us,
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
– Socrates, Greek philosopher (died 399 BC)
Be wiser than other people if you can; but do not tell them so.
– Lord Chesterfield, British statesman (1694-1773)
Wisdom is nothing more than healed pain.
– Robert E. Lee, American soldier (1807-1870)
I do not think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.
-Abraham Lincoln, American President (1809-1865)
You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.
– Naguib Mabfouz, Egyptian writer (1911-2006)
A wise man once said: An error does not become a mistake, until you refuse to correct it.
– President John F. Kennedy, American President (1917-1963)
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.
– Jimi Hendrix, American singer-songwriter (1942-1970)
Everything happens for a reason, even if we aren’t wise enough to see it.
– Oprah Winfrey, African-American media proprietor and philanthropist (1954-)
It takes courage to stand up and speak out for your own beliefs. It requires wisdom to sit down and listen to someone else’s.
– Mark Amend, American writer (1955-)
“Maturity is simply the wisdom to determine the right time to be a kid and the right time to be an adult”
– Nate Storvik, contemporary internet contributor
A wise person knows that there is something to be learned from everyone.